Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May Flower Offerings To Our Lady

Last Sunday,  May 29, was the 45th wedding anniversary of my in-laws, Ramon and Nina Herce.   My family and I went to the 10:30 a.m.  mass at the Presentation of Child Jesus Parish in BF  Homes Paranaque.  The officiating priest was my high school classmate, Fr. Rolly R.  Agustin.

After communion,  Fr. Rolly  invited the assembly  to offer flowers at the foot of the statue of  our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Practically more than half of the mass goers came forward with flowers on hand.  It was quite a scene for me.  Not that it  was new;  I have seen flower offerings or "Alay"  countless of times before--even   as far back when I was as a young altar boy  decades ago. What struck me  was more of the fervor of  those who went to church prepared to make that flower offering.  They came in all ages.  I saw my father-in-law  queue up  with my mother -in-law, each  of them holding a red rose.    Together they approached the statue of our Lady while the choir sang "Stella Maris" in Pilipino (lyrics  by Fr. Junjun Borres, SJ and music by Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ.)

To me, this  May tradition  is  a distinguishing character of our country.    I have  lived abroad--in Singapore and in the United States -- but I do not  remember  seeing  this practiced in the parishes where I went for Mass  in May or any summer month for that matter.

Today  is the last day of May.  The Presentation of Child Jesus  Parish in BF will hold the Grand "Alay"  (Flower Offering) starting at 4:30 p.m.  To me,  this event is  grand not only  because of the bunches after  bunches of flowers to be offered, but because of the  number of our  brothers and sisters who  demonstrate their  faithful devotion to  our Lady, our Mother and  Queen.

No comments: