Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

A Poem for My Mom

My mother, Lolet  Pineda Siquijor, circa 1953.
Yesterday was my mother's 80th birthday.  Our family  joined my father in  an intimate celebration held last Saturday  in  Lucban, Quezon-- my parents' hometown, popular for  the May Pahiyas Festival.

That Saturday, we attended a   thanksgiving mass  offered at  5 pm at Lucban's  San Luis Obispo Church.   The celebrant was Fr.  EJ  Jarapa, with whom I was able to speak days earlier.  I  gave  him a short  background on my mother-- that her nickname is Lolet,  that she was a  high school teacher for more than 20 years before  working at the head office of the Commission on Elections, that we are a family of seven children-- three of whom are based abroad.

My youngest sister Aurora flew in from New Jersey last Friday evening.  I was glad that four of my siblings and I, together with our families, were able to gather for the occasion.   My parents and   3 of my siblings  are based in Manila, we had to take  a  drive to Lucban,  leisurely done in   about 3 hours.

Dinner reception was held at Patio Rizal Hotel  located near the town square.  I served as program host.  After the  entertainment numbers by  four  grandchildren, I asked all the guests to introduce themselves.   Some pleasant revelations were made by my mother's high school  classmates-- my mom  wrote well, she  excelled in Algebra  and she was into indoor baseball when she was in her teens.  She was part of her school's  all-female baseball team that was  the  champion in Lucban circa 1948.

From the looks  on their faces-- my children were awed to learn about these details from my mother's youth.  They were delighted  to see faded photos of my mother and our family in the video prepared by my nephew Zach.

But to me, the  most memorable  part of that Saturday evening was  after the party when I read-- in the privacy of our hotel room and before my family--  the poem that my father wrote for my mother.   I did not know before the party that my father wrote  one and that  a copy of it was placed by my sister Pinky  in each of the gift pouches given to all the guests.

Below is the full text of this  heartfelt poem by my father, who will turn 81 come December.


                        "To My Darling Wife, Lolet"        
           On your birthday today
                  I cannot start with what to say
                To my mind there are plenty
                But I will make it short and briefly

             Lolet, you are everything to me
              With you around, everything is bright and rosy
          Remember last May,
         it was our Golden Wedding Anniversary
       And for the whole world to see
      That we have overcome trials and adversity

      Having raised seven children is not easy
           But thank you Lord, they are all now professionals
         And living comfortably with their own families


       And if ever reincarnation is really true, I want again to be with you

          And have the same loving and caring children
         To experience the same joy, laughter and ordeal
           that we have gone through.



With  love always, 
Abe



Please join me and our family  in saying a prayer of thanks to the Lord for the blessings received by my parents Abelardo and Lourdes Siquijor.  Thank you.

1 comment:

Of Sabreswords and Bytes said...

Very touching and endearing blog, Gerry. Warmed my heart specially when my 50th Wedding Anniversary comes up in less than 10 yrs. Can't talk about the age of my wife though. It's top secret.

Lucban Quezon is a nice place. I know personally the owner of Plaza Rizal, Mr. Lily Daya. Yeah, Lily is a man. He is an amiable man. I have a house in Tayabas, less than 30 min drive from Lucban.

Again , nice post.


Mac C