Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Star Movies, why are you playing "Pearl Harbor' now?

Just an hour ago,   I felt a weak tremor while I was at   home.   After assuring my children that  it was a relatively mild quake, I switched on the TV to find out what was in the news.

After quickly scanning through the channels,   I saw newsflashes on the TV screen-- Manila did experience an intensity 3 quake.    Shortly after, I  surfed our cable channels.

When I reached Star Movies, they were playing "Pearl Harbor."  Initially, I felt delight to see one of my favorite movies-- with its memorable  cinematography and song "There You'll Be" by Faith Hill.

Then suddenly it hit me-- why is Star Movies playing "Pearl Harbor" when Japan just suffered from  multiple catastrophes-- earthquakes,  tsunami and  nuclear meltdown?   At a time that Japan needs our support and sympathy-- why do we have to be reminded of President  Franklin D. Roosevelt's calling December 7, 1941   a  "date which will live in infamy?"

Perhaps somebody in Star Movies was simply unaware of the implications of showing this movie at this time.  Perhaps. GPS

No comments: